Personal information includes information or an opinion about an individual that is reasonably identifiable. For example, this may include your name, age, gender, postcode and contact details. It may also include financial information, including your credit card information.
What personal information do we collect?
We may collect the following types of personal information:
- mailing or street address;
- email address;
- telephone number and other contact details;
- age or date of birth;
- payment details, such as credit card information;
- occupation and employment details;
- your device ID, device type, geo-location information, computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from the sites, ad data, IP address and standard web log information;
- details of the products and services we have provided to you or that you have enquired about, including any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and respond to your enquiries;
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our website or indirectly through your use of our website or online presence or through other websites or accounts from which you permit us to collect information;
- information you provide to us through customer surveys;
- information you provide to us through an application to participate in the Virgin Australia Melbourne Fashion Festival (Festival); or
- any other personal information that may be required in order to facilitate your dealings with us.
We may collect these types of personal information either directly from you, or from third parties. We may collect this information when you:
- visit and interact with our website, services, content and advertising;
- submit or sign an application to participate in the Festival;
- make a payment, including, but not limited to, for applying to participate in the Festival, for participation in the Festival or for a corporate hospitality package to attend the Festival);
- fill in a form, including, but not limited to, when you register for Festival membership or submit information about third party-produced Festival events and activities for the preparation of marketing copy;
- purchase and/or are provided with our products or services, including, but not limited to, tickets and hospitality packages to attend the Festival;
- communicate with us through correspondence, email, or when you share information with us from other social applications, services or websites; or
- provide feedback to us through surveys or otherwise.
Using our website and cookies
We may collect personal information about you when you use and access our website.
While we do not use browsing information to identify you personally, we may record certain information about your use of our website, such as which pages you visit, the time and date of your visit and the internet protocol address assigned to your computer.
We may also use ‘cookies’ or other similar tracking technologies on our website that help us track your website usage and remember your preferences. Cookies are small files that store information on your computer, TV, mobile phone or other device. They enable the entity that put the cookie on your device to recognise you across different websites, services, devices and/or browsing sessions. You can disable cookies through your internet browser but our website may not work as intended for you if you do so.
We may also use Google Analytics to help analyse how you use our website. Google Analytics generates statistical and other information about website use by means of cookies. Google will store this information. If you do not want your website visit data reported by Google Analytics, you can install the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on. For more details on installing and uninstalling the add-on, please visit the Google Analytics opt-out page at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Why do we collect, use and disclose personal information?
We may collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- to enable you to access and use our website, products and services;
- to operate, protect, improve and optimise our website, products and services, business and our users’, customers’ and participants’ experiences, such as to perform analytics, conduct research and for advertising and marketing;
- to send you service, support and administrative messages, reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and information, products or services requested by you;
- to process and consider any application submitted by you (such as an employment application or an application to participate in the Festival);
- to process and administer any form submitted by you (such as registration for Festival membership or providing of information about third party-produced Festival events and activities for the preparation of marketing copy);
- to process any payments made by you (such as payment of an application to participate in the Festival, for participation in the Festival or for a corporate hospitality package to attend the Festival);
- to invite you to Festival or Festival-related events and activities;
- to send you marketing and promotional messages and other information that may be of interest to you, including information sent by, or on behalf of, our sponsors, suppliers and other business partners that we think you may find interesting;
- to administer rewards, surveys, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by us or our sponsors, suppliers or other business partners;
- to comply with our legal obligations, resolve any disputes that we may have with any of our users, and enforce our agreements with third parties; and
- to consider your employment application.
We may also disclose your personal information to a trusted third party who also holds other information about you. This third party may combine that information in order to enable it and us to develop anonymised consumer insights so that we can better understand your preferences and interests, personalise your experience and enhance the products and services that you receive.
Do we use your personal information for direct marketing?
We and our carefully selected sponsors, suppliers and other business partners may send you direct marketing communications and information about our and their services and products. This may take the form of emails, SMS, mail or other forms of communication, in accordance with the Spam Act and the Privacy Act. You may opt-out of receiving marketing materials from us and/or our sponsors, suppliers and other business partners by contacting us via the information below or by using the opt-out facilities provided (e.g. an unsubscribe link or check box).
To whom do we disclose your personal information?
- our employees and related bodies corporate;
- third party suppliers and service providers (including, but not limited to, website, cloud and data hosting providers for the operation of our website and online forms, software and email communications providers, PR agencies, event producers as well as other suppliers and service providers in relation to our business or in connection with providing our products and services to you);
- payment systems operators (eg merchants receiving card payments);
- our existing or potential agents, sponsors and other business partners or partners;
- our promoters of any competition or promotion that we conduct via our services;
- anyone to whom our assets or business (or any part of the business) are transferred;
- specific third parties authorised by you to receive information held by us;
- other third parties such as your referee(s) in connection with an employment application or your parent or teacher who has signed your application to participate in the Festival; and
- other persons, including government agencies, regulatory bodies and law enforcement agencies, or as required, authorised or permitted by law.
Disclosure of personal information outside Australia
We may disclose personal information outside of Australia to third party suppliers and service providers, including website, cloud and data hosting and software providers located in, or whose computer systems may be located in, the United States of America and such other countries in which those parties, or their computer systems, may be located from time to time. When you provide your personal information to us, you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your information outside of Australia and acknowledge that we are not required to ensure that overseas recipients handle that personal information in compliance with Australian Privacy Law. We will, however, take reasonable steps to ensure that any overseas recipient will deal with such personal information in a way that is consistent with the Australian Privacy Principles.
We may hold your personal information in either electronic or hard copy form. We may also hold your personal information using a third party data provider. We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss, as well as unauthorised access, modification or disclosure and we use a number of physical, administrative, personnel and technical measures to protect your personal information. For example, any personal information that is collected via our website or which is held on our computer systems is protected by safeguards including physical, technical (firewalls, SSL encryption etc) and procedural methods. In addition, personal information which is held using a third party data provider is protected by safeguards. However, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
Third Party Content
Accessing or correcting your personal information
You can access the personal information we hold about you by contacting us via the information below. Sometimes, we may not be able to provide you with access to all of your personal information and, where this is the case, we will tell you why. We may also need to verify your identity when you request your personal information.
If you think that any personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, please contact us and we will take reasonable steps to ensure that it is corrected.
Making a complaint
If you think we have breached the Privacy Act, or you wish to make a complaint about the way we have handled your personal information, you can contact us via the information below. Please include your name, email address and/or telephone number and clearly describe your complaint. We will acknowledge your complaint and respond to you regarding your complaint within a reasonable period of time. If you think that we have failed to resolve the complaint satisfactorily, we will provide you with information about the further steps you can take.
+61 3 9654 5599
Last updated: 30 November 2015